The ultimate guide to maintain and clean chalkboards
Chalkboards facilitate planning, learning, and communication interactively, regardless of where they are placed. However, the buildup of lingering residue can make it challenging to write and erase over time. Therefore, regularly cleaning the chalkboard surface for a convenient writing experience is essential. We have compiled a list of essential steps to maintain and clean chalkboards.
Materials Required For Cleaning
- Cotton cloths
- Measuring cups
- White vinegar
- Warm water
Step 1: Erase the Chalk
- To remove the chalk from the chalkboard, use a chalkboard eraser or a soft cotton cloth. Begin erasing from one side, using long strokes, and working your way down from the top.
Step 2: Prepare the Cleaner
- To create a homemade chalkboard cleaner, first, take a clean bucket and pour 1 gallon of warm water. Next, add 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar. However, if you use a more concentrated cleaning vinegar, only add 1/4 cup.
Step 3: Wipe the Chalkboard
- Take a clean cloth and dip it into the solution of water and vinegar. Squeeze out the excess liquid until the cloth is damp but not dripping. To begin cleaning the chalkboard, start at the top and use long, smooth strokes to wipe down the board. This method ensures that any dripping solution is wiped. Remember to rinse the cloth regularly as you work across the board.
Step 4: Use Squeegee to Clean Excess Solution
- After cleaning the chalkboard with the damp cloth, take a window squeegee to remove any excess cleaning solution. Begin at the top of the board and use long, horizontal strokes from one edge to the other. Once you reach the opposite edge, use a soft, dry cloth to wipe the squeegee's blade.
Step 5: Allow to Air Dry
- Once you have finished cleaning the chalkboard and removed any excess moisture, allow the board to air-dry entirely before writing or drawing on it. Chalk marks added to a wet board can be tough to erase, so it's essential to ensure the board is dry before using it. Depending on the room's humidity level, this may take a few minutes.
How Often Should You Clean A Chalkboard?
- There are no definitive guidelines for how often to clean a chalkboard. But it depends on how frequently the board is used. However, it's crucial to note that fresh chalk is generally easier to clean off than chalk on the board for an extended period. This is especially true when the chalkboard is exposed to grease, smoke, or hairspray, which can settle on the board and cause the chalk to set.